Chess is a very popular game played all around the world. This two-player strategic board game will use a lot of your brain power for making analysis, plans and moves as the setup change from time to time as players exchange moves.
This game originated in India and is composed of four divisions of the military: infantry, cavalry, elephantry, and chariotry. A chess opening is the initial moves done by the player. People from all over the world had created chess openings. They have successfully studied the game and created openings to lay their foundation.
The following are the most Famous Chess Openings.
- Ruy Lopez, This is known as the Spanish Game. This is named after the priest who analyzed the opening. The starting position of this opening is after 1..e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O
- Sicilian Defense, this opening is, 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3. This follows the popular king pawn opening.
- French defense, This opening starts at 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5, leaving the white 4 good moves.
- Nimzo Indian. This move allows the black in 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6. Wherein the white decides whether he would allow an immediate pin on the Queen’s Knight.
- Closed Game is also known as Queen’s gambit. This usually starts 1.d4 d5 2.c4. Leaving the opponent with 3 response, slav defense, Queen’s gambit decline or Queen’s gambit defense.
These openings are also known as book moves. This provides better protection to the king and control over the game. Also, this will give a great opportunity to create moves to capture the opponent’s pawns and other pieces.
If you are a rookie or a professional player, These moves are highly important to you. This will serve as a foundation for following moves such as Development, where the player mobilize pieces to useful squares.Control of the center, this is an important part since this can immobilize your opponent. The King’s safety is very vital in this game. The safety of the king depends on how well protected he is. The harmony of pieces is also given attention. Positions of the pieces are heavily critical. This determines the flow of the game.
To be a good chess player starts with being a rookie. Anatoly Karpov said, “Chess is everything: art, science and sport. Live your dreams well.